Sunday, 10 February 2013

Blow me down (Sea Shanties)

I was invited to a beer festival a couple of weeks back and there - whilst hammered - one of the chaps suggested we all start a Sea Shanty choir. It sounded a great idea.

Unlike most beer-inspired endeavours it turns out that it was a great idea.

We had our first outing last night - a big audience. Nine of us just got up and did it without having practiced at all. It was brilliant !  I've never known something come together so easily and naturally. No egos - no organiser... it just happened. The harmonies were excellent and the range of voices complete - I couldn't hear one duffer among us... which probably means that if there was one it was me !!!

This will definitely become a regular thing and - living by the sea - is exactly what life should be about.

----

I've just been edited on John Redwood's site after I'd responded to a comment which had appeared thusly:

"All this NHS waste [strong comment about a male-to-female sex operation - deleted by moderator] The only issues the NHS should deal with are those directly related to health."

I replied,

"Oh I don't think you could class that as waste. It probably got used to make a new nose for a patient in the burns unit."

Obviously too lewd.






8 comments:

beast said...

I had "What do you with a drunken sailor" played at my fathers funeral
It was an insult as he was both

Seems to run in the family, his brother owns a yacht (big fuck off sail driven thing) and we also all share a love of special brew
Really odd that
I was clearing out mt Pas flat with sailing uncle and we both spotted a can of SB and it was a dash for the ration
Cunt had drunk it and put the can back in the fridge
Thats the kind of person that he was
One last vees up
TWAT!

Electro-Kevin said...

Ha ha !

"Sail driven thing"

Well. That must make it a luxury yacht.

lilith said...

Fantastic Kev. You will have so much fun.

Blue Eyes said...

Dangerous sport EK, be careful!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-21401423

beast said...

Its 40 feet
He loves doing stuff like sailing around europe
One of his sons shares my name *bizzare*
My fathers other brother is the largest supplier of Industrial clothing in the UK
I got the wrong brother as a father
SHIT!

landlubbingbeast said...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2276568/Fishermans-Friends-Tour-manager-shanty-group-Paul-McMullen-dies-trapped-metal-door-unloaded-equipment-concert.html#axzz2KQHYAiys

Why sea shanties are a nad idea !

Never trust a sailor !

Bonjour matelots said...

I bet you didn't sing "Frigging in the rigging like his father used to do". Got that on a tape of naughty "folk" songs from a rugby playing mate which somehow disappeared over the years.

Kynon said...

Parson's Nose?