Thursday, 17 January 2013

Night Duty

One has this sense of having been battered repeatedly about the head with a sandbag, pumped full of glycerol and hung upside down from a butcher's hook for a long period time. My eyes look as though they have been bathed in purest lemon juice.

Night work simply has to be a killer.


Two days off at last and I don't have to leave a cosy house - when everyone is snuggling under warm duvets - nor spend another night clambering up and down train ladders in the freezing drizzle, trudging through diesel sludge and inhaling sooty fumes.

The weather is forecast to be atrocious tonight
-
-
-
-
BLISS !

(Heaven - Definition: A nice warm bed or...  Not hurting.)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

With the water temperature set just below 'skin-blisters' I will drag my body into the shower at 06:30 and curse, E-K.

Thud said...

Enjoy!

Scrobs... said...

Sooty fumes?

I thought they'd discovered electricity down West...

Lloydy said...

Friday morning down the Smithfield Tavern after night work

Electro-Kevin said...

The group playing Pass the Pigs in Bart's refectory at 3am.

Oh to be young again, Lloydy.

There is a big difference between being on nights and actually WORKING nights.

Electro-Kevin said...

Anon - The one benefit. Going to bed when everyone is setting off for work.

Thud - Will do. It makes me glad of all the mercies in my life.

Scrobs - We've only just started using electricity in the semaphore signals. This is NOT a joke.

Trubes said...

Ahhhr poor Kevin... I used to work very unsociable hours many years ago, the pull of a comfy home and a warm bed is something that can't be dismissed...
We've had a smattering of snow and it's very cold, more to follow all over the UK so take care dear EK, and enjoy your home comforts when you're there....
lol Di..xxx

Electro-Kevin said...

Thanks Trubes.

I have convalesced over the past two days !

I hope you are well.