Monday, 28 January 2013

Jose Gonzalez - Teardrop






http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l21_I8rEds

An example of very powerful music generated with very little. I believe that Teardrop was first performed by Massive Attack and that this is a cover.

Headphones or decent speakers as usual.

Also this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFgnW7yTVLI

Jeff Monkman (unknown) performing an acoustic version of Southern Pacific originally by Neil Young. You can hear the train if you listen closely.

Whilst others watch TV I spend hours with my headphones on seeking out videos of ordinary people playing their guitars. There is some wonderful work out there.  He is playing a Martin OOO15 SM. A fine instrument and almost the same as the Sigma that I have just bought. The detail in the guitar playing is fantastic and it records really well. He plays a Martin dreadnought in other videos which does not sound as good.

Both players are using dropped tunings.

(Gonzalez is playing an Alhambra)



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Until today I was blissfully unaware of the 'dropped tuning' term, not that it precluded enjoyment of Mr Monkman's playing.
An overture to something from your goodself?

Electro-Kevin said...

Anon - Welcome. So eloquently put.

An overture to my working life, perhaps. It's about time I moved on to big trains - something which may be coming sooner than expected owing to a large number of retirements and withdrawn applications to do the job.

This tune will reverberate through my mind and make my day pass faster.

For the time being it's units and branch lines - something which I'm perfectly happy with and I cover intercity distances anyway.

apricotfox said...

Ahhh..this is what sprang into my mind at the word 'teardrop'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRLzmUXVMng

Kynon said...

EK - "Teardrop" was indeed originally by Massive Attack (and is a truly brilliant song), it has also been covered (badly) by Newton Faulkner.

Worth noting that Gonzalez' only flirtation with the popular music chart was with "Heartbeats", which is also a cover of a song by The Knife - and the original is far, far superior to his version.

Electro-Kevin said...

Thanks, Apricot.

I'd never heard of Fuzzy before that.

Kynon - Dang. I'm disappointed. I really though that Heartbeats was Gonzalez.

Kynon said...

E-K: You can check out the original here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcv3v6XfEvM

I don't know if they'll be your "thing", but personally I think they are brilliant.